Thursday, December 27, 2007

Why Watch A Bike Race On TV?

The first video in the YouTube playlist (see link in post below) shows the finish of the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour de France. Twenty years ago I was starting to appreciate cycling. My sister was not a big sports fan, so we did not watch sports together often. But the CBS SportsWorld coverage of the Tour in 1985 and 1986 had captivated us. Regardless of what a person thinks about the Tour or Greg Lemond nowadays, the race in those years made for a very compelling telecast. My sister was home from college and recovering from surgery so we both plopped down in front of the TV for those Sunday afternoon broadcasts on St Louis' KMOX.

By 1987 I was hooked. I bought my first road bike and subscribed to Winning, Bicycle Racing Illustrated to read about the big races in Europe. That was how I became a fan of Stephen Roche.

I've always been a sports fan. It's a social handicap for a man if he's unable to speak intelligently about sports. Part of sports fanaticism is an attempt by men to sound cool when talking with other guys. But for me, cycling had such dramatic storylines and interesting personalities that I couldn't help but become interested. I followed the sport because the stories of the riders played out better than most Hollywood screenplays. With the right camera crew, the sport can be visually stunning, but it was the storylines that really pulled us in.

With Lemond out of the race, (he was shot during the off-season) Roche was a bit of a surprise contender in 1987. He had a tough Irish constitution that showed itself on that climb to La Plagne. He was outmatched that day as Pedro Delgado was clearly a better natural climber. But the Irishman pushed himself deep into the 'pain cave' to limit his losses to the Spaniard. I enjoy cheering for athletes who make the most of their natural gifts. Watching someone who excels at a sport is okay. Watching someone who probably shouldn't be there is riveting. Roche probably should have lost to Delgado by several minutes, but he pushed his body beyond what he should have been able to do.

Roche's determination was admirable, but I loved his wit even more. His effort on the bike cause him to collapse at the finish line and lose consciousness briefly. After being given oxygen, the medical crew asked if he was okay. Roche replied "Oui, mais pas de femme toute suite" ("yes, but I am not ready for a woman straightaway").

A charming, witty and determined underdog--how could we not be fans?