Friday, December 28, 2007

The Things You Find On YouTube

As mentioned below, our family has gotten hooked on YouTube. My wife is the creative member of our family so I mostly stick to spectating. Sometimes I surf through the bike related videos on YT while she wins video contests and comes up with one hilarious idea after another.
I found this little gem on YouTube at first and wanted to verify its legitimacy before posting on the blog. So I pulled it up on the Library of Congress web site. I'll be darned if this isn't some neat trick riding from 1899. Nope, that's not a typo---1899.
It gets better. The person working the camera is William Dickson, the filming assistant to Thomas Edison. Nope, not another Thomas Edison, that Thomas Edison.
Apparently, folks have been doing silly tricks on fixed gear bikes for over 108 years. And I thought it started with QuickSilver.